Thursday, March 3, 2016

From Bad to Worse

This is twenty years too late, but I wanted to say that I never liked you. You were the friend of a friend and so you just kind of became my friend. And when you're young you don't realize that you don't have to put up with people you don't want to put up with if you don't want to. So I kept hanging out with you, and inviting you when I invited others, and I was your friend. I was your friend for a long, long time.

Then we started talking, some others and me. And one by one we realized that each of us felt like the last. How did we become friends? Could we pinpoint the date? What was happening at the time? Were we at particularly low points in our lives? Did we need to make ourselves feel better? Did we merely not want to make others feel worse?

But that was twenty years ago. And I do give my generation flack for being the If-You-Don't-Love-It-Don't-Do-It Generation. But there is some truth to it. I don't have to surround myself with you anymore. And really, do you want my poison in your atmosphere? And so here I am, finally, twenty years later, letting you go. So you can go now, and you can delete my number, because I've already deleted yours, and I'd rather not feel worse about it than I already do.

No comments:

Post a Comment