Sunday, May 31, 2015

Latham

I will go out on a limb and say I will never know what it is like to see my boss impaled on a sword. I will never know battle, the absolute terror of metal clanging against blood. And when his commander was felled I cannot say I can begin to fathom what was going on in his mind. If he was looking for the nearest door, if he was sad, or angry. If the choice to continue fighting was anything more than This is what I do now. I will never know what it means to fight for freedom, and certainly not for mine. I have no concept of prison, personal or otherwise. I can see and read all I can find, I can look at black and white, I can think I am an educated and worldly man. But I have never known pain, never known hunger, never known fear. Never known what it is like to travel half a world to die for someone else, and yet to die for you. Thirty-three wounds and untold enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment