Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Our Own Waves

In a room marked "Vacant" we met, toweling off our sundried lotions. We both looked kind of perfect, the way the salt and the wind sculpt you over an afternoon, a patch of sand that hits you just right. There was something special about our anonymity, and we were both content on keeping it that way.

Throat, mouth, I was dry. She looked at me, her eyes changing with breaths, blue, then green, light to dark. There wasn't a light and if there was we kept it off, we would have kicked our shoes into the wall had we worn them. She was short, or maybe I just felt tall.

Lingering salt passed between us, back and forth, we were our own waves. Bright strips of color flashed when I could not keep my eyes closed. I'd like to think she'd say the same. That she saw something there, if only for a moment, some brief but sunny moment, and smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment