Saturday, June 25, 2016

Even Am I

Champagne wine beer liquor coffee water tea. Small bite tuna salad steak or grouper cake and assorted pastries. Dollar bills line the floor, a mix of old and new, adults sitting watch the kids thinking when they used to dance to these same songs. Spoons and knives and too many forms, the mugs still have their tags. Outside are turtles, bobbing up and down in the water. Someone tells me they're good luck. Sounds right to me.

He's a man I've met and you're a woman I've known. What k say at a time like this? We were in school together, school after school, wound up in the same high-rise unbeknownst. It's the kind of thing that makes one wonder and they call it by a name: fate. It exists. Just not for me.

You're both so happy and even am I. A woman in a green dress tells me her name five or six times and I think I'm in love. Love is in the air, however, and it's floated into mine. Perhaps I've breathed it in, perhaps it's in my blood now. I can feel it, bass and kick and tradition. Everyone is happy and brilliant and thinking of only now. So now, I decide, is a wonderful time to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment