Saturday, April 23, 2016

Come Go with Me

We get home late and come in through the back door. I tell her to be quiet, my roommates are asleep. I know where to step so the floorboards don't creak but she doesn't, I say shh loudly and she starts laughing and that makes me laugh so we kiss.

I open the fridge to get water and bottles of beer. The light shines down the hall and shows me that the doors are open, my roommates aren't here, they're not sleeping. This gives me license to make more noise than I normally would, to make up for earlier, a few seconds ago. Let's have some, I say. I just got a crappy record player and I put on an old soul record. When the weather gets nice it's all I want to hear.

She turns on a light but I turn it off. I want to live in this moment of darkness and music and dance like ghosts. We knock into chairs and bump into the floor and I step on her open-toed shoes more than once. But we feel the grooves, we're on that line, she's close to me and I feel her breath and it is the freshest air. And it could be any number of things but I can't help but thinking, when did we get so young?

No comments:

Post a Comment