Saturday, April 2, 2016

You Should See Your Face

He looked down at me and laughed. "You should see your face!" he said, and he took out his phone and took a picture and showed me my face.

"What the hell?" A classic prank, shaving cream in a sleeping man's hand, tickle with a feather, hand to nose, an old favorite, simple yet effective. "It's three in the morning, man."

"April Fools!"

"It's three in the morning, man. That shit ended hours ago. Three hours."

"My day starts when I get up and ends when I go to sleep!" He laughed. I threw off the covers and went to the bathroom to wash.

I saw my face. I looked like the old man, the Santa Claus every boy in a bubble bath makes himself. And as I let the water run warm and splashed it on my face, I watched as the foam broke apart in the water, sliding down the drain, as he leapt into his bed with his bedsheets covered in the same stuff. I looked up into the mirror, saw my face, and smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment