Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Suddenly

She says hey and she says hey but it's loud so I can ignore her. And suddenly I'm the last one there and I don't know where anybody's gone and she comes out of the bathroom. Just in times, she says, and know what she means. This party's dead anyway.

She's tall and young and I'm neither of those things but for a little bit I feel a bit of both. But she brings me back to where her roommate is sleeping and her other roommate is still awake and it's hot and dirty and suddenly I am back to being old. And then we're in her room and it's got some semblance of maturity and she has interesting taste in trinkets and it looks as though she makes jewelry. There's lace. She is a fan of lace.

She asks me if I want coffee or tea in the morning and I say no I've got to go. She doesn't walk me to the door and doesn't say goodbye. There are eggs and toast and juice and that coffee and they all have her attention. I stand by the door waiting for something and I don't know what but it's never taken me so long to put on shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment