Sunday, July 5, 2015

Small Sparks

I didn't get it til I did it. It was just noise. They were just kids in an alley, being stupid. I was stupid once. I'm stupid now.

Bang. They shot another off. Bang. It was well past the time one might find this acceptable. Bang. The laughter. The pop-fizzle of youth. Bang. I went outside.

Four boys. Did they all look like me? I walked up to them and told them to stop. They laughed, but not at me. Bang. Was I not older? Does that not matter anymore? Where were their parents? This was my alley. Bang. They were having precious fun.

One of them put a tube in my hand. He held up a match, and I took it. He held up his own explosive, small sparks spewing. I held up my fuse against his and the sparks doubled. The five of us stood, arms raised, and altogether BANG!

I went inside. The noises stopped. The night was quiet. It then occurred to me that his explosive could have gone off right in my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment