Thursday, November 27, 2014

Two Daphnes

I know a woman, last name O'Reilly. She's got this daughter, named her Reilly. Takes a special kind of person to do that, and it just don't sit right with me. It's different if they're both first names; a guy's named Bob and he names his son Bob. Or if there are two Daphnes. But chopping off one letter and one apostrophe and calling it something different. It's like they wanted to name her something original but were too proud, or wanted to pass a name down but be original. Instead here's this kid, straddling this line that she probably doesn't even mind straddling. My mother's maiden name is MacDonald. I would rather have the worst, trying-too-hardest name in the entire world than be called Donald. I don't think I could live with myself. But who knows though. Listen to me now. Maybe I can't live with myself anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment