Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Ex-Uncle Paul

I almost drowned. My family was at the country club, congregating at the pool. Why I'd gotten away I do not know, but I had. Why I jumped into the pool, I don't know that either. Perhaps I fell. But I was four, and scared, and I could not swim.

Uncle Paul jumped in after me. I remember watching him, seeing the rippled faces of my relatives above the surface, their muffled cries through the water. And a man, Uncle Paul, diving in to save me. I don't think I was in the pool very long. I suppose that's a good thing.

Uncle Paul and my Aunt Viv were divorced years later. It was messy, and unpleasant, and no one took Paul's side. It's been years, nearly twenty, since I saw or spoke to him last. It is a shame that people are cut fron your life through no means of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment