Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Hummus

My hand smells like old hummus and it's only after several carrots covered in the stuff that I realize it's gone off. I had to get the Mediterranean style, I think, I had to be persuaded by the herbs and oil. And now because of those very same herbs and oil I might be ingesting bad condiments.

Was it really just the oil, I think. Was it really just the herbs? This is where you have to go for your hummus, she'd told me, if you really like it. And even if you don't, still go here because it's just that good. I didn't want to trek all the way to the far north edge of town. It didn't seem worth it. It's hummus.

But I did. And it was good, but not all that good, not good enough to finish before it went bad. And here I am about to throw the stuff out. I'd told her, yeah, I checked the place out, I got the special Mediterranean recipe you told me about. She smiled and asked me wasn't it worth it? It was a lot, I told her, I couldn't finish it all before it went bad. Next time, she said, you get some and you invite me over. We'll eat it together. And isn't that what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment