Thursday, June 11, 2015

Leader

In the end I can't say I won't be entirely selfish, that I won't try to grab as much food and water and utterly useless electronics as my arms will let me carry. Let me carry, because they're in charge. My muscles, it's true, in the end only the muscles will matter. The brains will try to have the upper hand, will try to put the brawns in their place. And they'll succeed, for a time. Maybe it's the pessimist in me, but I think it's just reality, although the truly cynical will tell you they're the same thing.

Can I read enough? Can I lift enough tires? Is there some sliver of a Venn diagram where one can be equal to another? I scour my brain to think of examples but I cannot come up with any, which perhaps says more about me than it says about people. But if you're known for one what are the chances that you're known for another? Could I be the first? Could I be a leader?

In the end I dot know exactly what I will do. It's hard to tell, not knowing what kind of person I'll be, and it seems foolish to start preparing for a world that will never come. But we have to prepare for some world. We have to do something. And if one day I not only have the facts, but the strength to back them up, that doesn't seem so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment