Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Simple Pleasures

I know we've only just met, so forgive me if I'm sounding rude, but I just wanted to say one thing. If you hear me say that I'm looking for candy (which I know you did because I said it right in front of you), and then a few minutes later you take out a bag of chocolate chips and start eating them, I'm going to take that as a slight. Maybe you don't think of chocolate chips as being candy, but ask around and I think you'll find that when you throw them into a plastic baggie like that that's basically what they become. You take them out and start eating, and then just toss them on the table inches from me, and I'm supposed to act like I don't desperately want them? I'm supposed to buy this whole thing you're doing? That you don't know exactly what you're doing?

Like I said, I know we don't really know each other. But how close do we have to be for me to get a couple of those chips? How long would I have had to know you for you to spare a little chocolate? The bag was decently full, you had plenty, you could've given up five or six and your belly wouldn't even have noticed.

And I think it's odd that you took them out right after I mentioned I was looking for candy. It couldn't have been more than three or four minutes and then WHOOPS out come the morsels. And, I don't know, I guess I couldn't be sure, but it looked like you had a smile on your face. It really did. Not a big one, but a smile nonetheless. And I couldn't quite tell—was this the smile that came from the simple pleasure of eating chocolate chips, or the simple pleasure of looking down on your fellow man?

No comments:

Post a Comment