Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Something to Do with Death

Ouch, oh, no, yeah, that's gotta hurt. I mean, I don't work out, but the stomach, I mean, nothing feels good if it hurts, right? If it's in pain? How much did you eat? And drink? And then what happened then? Yeah, no, pal, I fall asleep on the couch the whole time, that thing's like a bed to me. Any particular way you do it? Just sitting there in the normal sitting position, huh? Yeah, no, that doesn't sound to extra-ordinary to me. Sitting is how I usually sit, myself. I mean, I can't speak for others, but that's usually how I do it. But I'll tell you something, pal, if you've gone about your daily day doing the things you usually do in the way you usually do them and you end up with a pain like that, it's either the things that have gotten old or, and I hate to tell you this, it's you. Hear me out on this thing. It's true. It's an ugly, sick, sick thing, but it's true. We are not the spring chickens we once were, and, yes, I include myself in that characterization. We are dying every moment we are alive, you know, scientifically speaking, I guess, is what I'm saying. Now listen for a second to what I'm saying here. It's not a pleasant thing to think about, I know, hell, I've thought about it. I don't just say things without thinking about them, not anymore. But every single day is a slow march toward death. I know! I know, it's terrible! But it's the true. But it's kind of beautiful in its own way, is how I like to think about it, there is a certain beauty in the inevitability. And that, at least in this one way, we are all the same. Every story is the same. And that puts us here on common ground, that gives us at least one thing to hold on to and call ours, not just yours, not just mine, or his, or hers, but ours. And at least I don't see how that could be bad, even though it sounds awful, which it does. But it could be worse. So if you wake up in pain, like you do, and there's nothing you've done wrong, like you've done, I don't think it's cause for alarm. You're alive, and that's something, it really is. That is something.

No comments:

Post a Comment