Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Two-Thirds

I was drowning in a car but at some point there was a beach. And I was driving through it, I must have been. "Who wants to go swimming" I asked and "I do I do" is what they said. "OK then, everybody in the car" and we started driving, I don't even know if we brought sandwiches or sunblock. My two darling boys, my beautiful wife, there was surf rock on the radio as if God was watching all along. And maybe he was but I hope he wasn't. Because I didn't pick that parking spot, or that one, or that one. I drove through the sandcastles, deaf to the shrieks of mothers, I ignored the watermelon as the pink flew through the sky. I could not hear my family, could not even see them, as the horizon line began to blur and the first fish hit my foot. And they say we are two-thirds water and drowning is a lovely way to die. Perhaps we think we are finally becoming whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment