Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Bills

The bills were piling up but when Nate texted me to say hey let's go out I said well yeah of course. That's what I'm trying to do, more of this living in the moment bullshit. Money comes and money goes, you will make money, never let money stand in your way of doing anything, even if that anything is getting pissed drunk with an old friend on a Sunday night. Don't you have work, I asked him, and he said yeah of course he does and before I knew it we were two shots deep and onto our first beers. I told him I'd just read something, an article, maybe not the whole article, maybe it was just a headline, that beers with a lot of hops tend to give men man-breasts and what did he think about that. He said that men already have breasts, they're right there, he slapped me in mine, and said what did we have to be ashamed of. So we played pool, we played songs on the jukebox, we looked at pretty girls from across the room, and maybe we even talked to a few of them. We sat at the bar for hours and made small talk with the bartender and she bought us a round of whiskey because we were good guys and she liked talking to us. People came and people went. People went home to their roommates and friends and spouses and dogs and cats and electric and water and heat. I was happy to take myself away to a place where none of that matters. A place where, as violent and chaotic as it actually is, it's actually pretty damn peaceful. And sometimes it takes a Sunday of choices and a Monday of regret to realize that that place and this one, they're the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment