Monday, August 15, 2016

Cutouts and Castaways, 5

"Sandy" smiled at me and pointed at my bag. "Got a treat in there for me?" I'd gone to the liquor store first thing. "Sorry," I said, "maybe next time." I imagined a little nip of something strong might help her get through the day down here. No matter if it's cloudy or bright because in here it's only and always one time and that's lights on. After a while it must start to change a person, affect their brain, their mood, to the point where the job becomes one big trick after another. She rung up my pillows and I handed her my coupon, trying for the life of me to remember what it was I'd forgotten. She said I could always come back, that she'd be here, and I saw her smile fall and rise again. Gotta put on that brave face. I took my receipt and thanked her, walked to the escalator and stepped. "Sleep well," she told me, and the stairs took me up and out of sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment