Friday, January 16, 2015

The Plans I Had in Mind

I could tell you of the plans I had in mind
The things to waste my time
The runners and the threaders and the leaders all in line
The warriors and fickle babies
Silver-headed evil ladies
Bruisers and the boulders and the folders filled with fines

I could tell you of the sacrifices
One by one in bland disguises
Hidden on the blank horizon of a book I've yet to write
Cold and calculating
Shaking in the wings and waiting
Exits to the stars and entrances you'd only find by night

I could tell you of the tricky little deeds
The ones beyond the weeds
The charge and orders larger than the prizes left in store
And the only ones that made it there
With soiled eyes and faded stares
Were men like me and I was made to merit more and more

I could tell you of things lost and found
And lost again
A life unwound
A day untold
A tale unburned
A world that never ever turned
Except to turn against me when my part I'd played in full
Then silenced like the deaf and dumb and raging like a vengeful bull
Between to boast and to atone

I woke and found myself alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment