Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Mirrors and Scales

I'm gonna go ahead and be controversial.

Oh please no.

I'm about to say something you won't like.

This is where someone comes to save me.

I think white men of today have it hard.

This is where the laugh track goes.

I'm serious.

This is where the gasp goes, when they realize you're the villain.

I'm not the villain.

No villain thinks he's the villain.

I have an explanation.

I would love to not hear it.

Up until now white men have had it easy.

You don't say.

At the expense of a lot of other people; women, minorities—

Literally everyone.

And I'm not refuting that.

Oh god go on.

But a lot of that was built in.

White privilege.

Right, white privilege. So many of them didn't know it was happening.

Really.

I didn't.

OK.

I am only now beginning to understand how easy I always had it. Or if not that, how difficult it was and is for others.

This is where they go aww.

But now people are getting back at us.

And you've lost them again.

Getting back at people like me, who had no idea it was happening in the first place.

Oh dear god no.

Or if not getting back then being antagonistic.

Make. It. Stop.

Or if not antagonistic then throwing it in our faces.

Please help ANYBODY.

I feel like you're not getting what I'm saying.

I'm getting what you're saying. You're the one who's not getting it. Honesty is painful sometimes, people get mad at mirrors and scales for doing their jobs. The reason you're uncomfortable has nothing to do with anybody else but you. The reason you're uncomfortable is because you feel bad. Which is a good thing. It means you're learning. Like you said, you had no idea how difficult it was for other people. How easy you had it. How your world was slowly formed over hundreds of years to ensure how easy you'd have it. But now that world is changing and it's not even that things are slightly harder. It's that things aren't masked anymore. You're starting to see everything for what it really is. And that's different, and scary, and to you it seems unfair. Because you didn't ask to be white and you didn't ask to be male. You didn't ask to be born. Well guess what. Neither did anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment