Thursday, November 12, 2015

Sun, Moon, or Mars

I know I should be able to tell them apart. I know there are vast, significant differences. One is day, the other is night, and yet I am having difficulty distinguishing between them.

I do not know quite when it began. All I know is one day I looked up. Don't stare at it, someone said. Stare at what? The sun, I was told, don't look directly at it, not for very long. But to me it looked like any other thing. It was was no brighter nor bigger than a common lamppost. And when someone told me it had fallen into night I could not tell. They said it was full, the moon. I swear I could not see it anywhere. And now I squint at the heavens for some sort of reason why. Are there stars anymore? Are there planets?

People call me crazy. How are we alive if there's no sun, they say. How, if there's no moon. No one seems to understand that I do not doubt their existence. I am not saying there is no such thing as sun, no orb known as The Moon. But, to me, they are gone. No different from that glowing red dot some millions of miles away. I know that they are there. But that is simply all they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment