Saturday, November 28, 2015

Pregame

I'm just jealous because I don't have fifteen friends. Maybe I do, if I scraped the bottom of the barrel. But it's close quarters, these two small rooms, and the heat that we can't control. But what's a man to do? It would have been rude not to invite Cary, she was sitting right next to Ben, who was sitting right next to Mikey. Then there was François, visiting from France, and they weren't about to leave him alone. Soon a handful turns into a barrel and I don't know the majority of people there, in my own home. I can understand why he did it. They were his plans. And I can't say I was an afterthought, though I don't really know, and there would be no reason not to think I didn't mind. We're all just so close, physically, feeling so much hot breath. And everybody happy, and everybody drinking, and everybody loud, and everybody asking if they can put their jackets in my room. 'Tis the season for putting on a smile and saying you're having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment