Saturday, June 21, 2014

Carol Jean-Luc Martin Me

Carol Reed. Jean-Luc Godard. Martin Scorsese. Each of these guys showed a hero staring into the bubbles of a drink, and there they saw their troubles. Troubles in the bubbles. They were seeing faces and hearing voices and knew what was in their soul. Well, let me just tell you that I tried that out. I tried it out the other day and it's nothing of the sort. I was pouring coffee, I was pouring fizzy pop, I was pouring beer after beer, and still I saw nothing. I looked in mugs and steins and Dixie Cups. I knocked them over, on the floor, on the counter, on the tabletop. I tried all of a goddamn night. I wanted so badly to see something. I stared and I stared, sure I did! I was even naive enough to think that sneaking up on the liquid would produce something. Some kind of answers. But I didn't see any answers that night. No more than I've been seeing, no more than I ever saw. It was just a lot of spilled drinks. And I was so thirsty.

No comments:

Post a Comment