Monday, September 29, 2014

Host

You should try the ham and the apples. Together! No, together. Take the apple and then take the ham and wrap it around the apple. There should be a small dish of blueberry mustard there, too. Put that on, dab on just a little bit. It elevates the flavor profile, trust me.

Oh, those? They're sautéed mushrooms with a balsamic glaze. If you don't like mushrooms you should try those mushrooms. It will totally change what you thought you thought about mushrooms. That's what it did for me, and that's why they're there! I hope someone here will have the same experience. You should definitely try them.

Janey wanted to be a part of the evening, she's so cute like that. I asked if she wanted to help me with the deviled quail eggs but she said no, she wanted to do the whole dish herself, and she had this treat at a friend's house recently that she wanted to make. It's that one over there. You take a spinach tortilla, and make a horseradish-cream cheese spread, lay down some roast beef, some provolone, and some red onion. She didn't want the red onion because she doesn't like onions but I insisted. Then you roll everything up, cut them into little discs, and there you go! I think there are a few left. They're fine!

Those are just store-bout frozen mini quiches. I don't know who brought those.

What I'm really proud of is the green pea basil dip. It's like a pesto, but with a more complicated flavor profile. There are peas in it, and there's some basil and olive oil and other things and you whip it all up in your food processor. I like it best with jicama. You haven't had jicama?! It's Mexican I think! A sort of translucent whitish watery and crispy kind of vegetable. That probably didn't make it sound very good... But trust me! I had the last piece otherwise you could try it. The co-op should have some. If you haven't been there you need to go there. They have the most amazing local cheese-filled bratwursts.

Speaking of cheese-stuffed, I have to admit that one of my favorites is the goat cheese-stuffed peppers. Donna brought them and I hate her just a little for it. I wish I'd made them. I was going to make something similar but decided against it. Mine would have been a little more complicated—my recipe wraps them in ham—but hers are pretty delicious. Oh, but don't tell her I said that, OK? No reason, just... don't. Thanks!

Are you having a good time? This must be so exciting for you! We're really happy to have you in the neighborhood. These little things happen, well, I guess they don't happen every month, but mostly every month. I host them. No, I host them. Um... I guess you could... host one if you want. Can you cook? Haha, I guess anyone can cook. That's what my grandmother always said: "If you can read, you can cook." Haha! But can you cook?

Oh. No, I love your mini quiches, really. They remind me of my college parties! Such nostalgia. And you didn't even try! Cheese and spinach. Absolutely delicious.

Well... enjoy yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment