Saturday, September 6, 2014

Washing Goblets

"What are we celebrating?"

I searched for whatever she wanted me to say. "Uh... Um..." She was at the cupboard, looking for glasses. "We could celebrate... us?"

"No," she said, "that's no good." She was washing goblets.

"If you need an excuse to drink just tell me."

"I don't need an excuse," she said. "I just thought it would be nice." I had plenty of clean glasses. Why was she washing goblets?

"Well, then, let's drink to that?" I tried to phrase it as a statement but failed, although I think I got away with it. Probably not.

She popped open the champagne and it drooled out onto the floor. She filled the goblets until they too were drooling. She handed me one and we clinked them together. We drank our chilled champagne, and we were both better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment