Saturday, September 20, 2014

Passes

"Larry? Larry? Larry. Larry! What'd you do with my bus pass, Larry?"

"I don't know."

"What'd you do with my bus pass, Larry?"

"I don't know."

"What'd you do with our bus passes, Larry? So we can ride the bus all night, Larry? Larry? Larry!"

"I don't know."

"Is that it, you don't know? Larry? Larry. You don't know? Is that a good idea, Larry? Losing our bus passes, Larry? Is that a good idea? Is it? Larry, is it a good idea, Larry?" Larry doesn't know. Larry stays quiet. His friend moves to the front. Three girls are falling out of their shirts.

"Wow. Larry! Larry! The Charlie's Angels are up here!"

"That's right! We are!"

"Woo!"

"You're like the Charlie's Angels. Larry! Charlie's Angels are up here! All three of them." Larry doesn't know. "You. Are. Beautiful."

"Everyone's beautiful!"

"Stop it."

"The whole world is!"

"Yeah!"

"Larry!" Larry doesn't know.

"That girl's more beautiful than us."

"Which?"

"That one right there!"

"Yeah. She's beautiful, too!"

"The whole world's beautiful!"

"Even me?"

"You guys."

"Of course!"

"You hear that, Larry? I'm beautiful! Hell, you are, too!" Larry doesn't know.

"Yeah!"

"Where are you going tonight?"

"Where does it look like we're going?"

"Don't."

"What?"

"A party."

"Yeah!"

"Woo!"

"Charlie's Angels, going to a party!"

"Woo!"

"You guys."

"So what do you guys do? You nurses? Artists?"

"What do we look like we do?"

"Haha!"

"You're artists!"

"Haha! No, we're nurses."

"Haha!"

"Stop..."

"Larry. Larry! These angels are nurses! Saving lives. Saving lives, Larry!" Larry doesn't know. "Don't fall asleep, Larry. Larry. Larry! Wake up, Larry! No bus passes, Larry! Wake up! We're going to a party, Larry!"

"Haha!"

"You guys..."

"Woo!"

"We're going to a party!"

But the men got off with me. It was hot, humid, but I buttoned my jacket.

"You hear that, Larry? They were talking to me. Like I was on that bus with them. A party, Larry. A party. Wow." I unbuttoned, already sweaty-browed, smelly and deserving. "We can get new bus passes, Larry. I'm sorry. We can get new bus passes." The whole world is beautiful. I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment