Monday, October 12, 2015

Coming Around

I meet Ellie for a drink at what's supposed to be a sushi place. I wanted to go to a bar but she wanted to go to this sushi place. When I get there I see they sell wraps, salads, carved meats, and hardly any sushi at all. It doesn't fit into the town. It's trying. There are lots of people there, it must be the rush time, and none of it feels right. There are TVs on and the people were watching them, a reality competition, strangers stabbing each other in the back. Ellie's already drinking, wearing a black dress. She's eating something, a wrap, but sushi, a big sushi wrap. I can't make up my mind because I don't know what anything is or how much it costs, it's one of those menus. We talk about why we moved back home. She talks about money and "finally coming around." I agree with her, say a version of the same thing, it sounds better than the truth, but I'm realizing that most things do. I also realize that Ellie's dress looks exactly like the servers'. She stands up, says she has to go, she's working later tonight. She goes around some corner and I watch after her like she'll ask me to follow. In a minute she comes back around, changed, wearing a gold dress, it looks Victorian, it's so ornate, so beautiful. She starts clearing people's plates. I decide I should pick something up on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment