Sunday, October 25, 2015

Two Germans

Sitting next to Germans wondering which sister is older. They both are blonde and have strong jaws but then I think that might be all Germans. But maybe I'm thinking Aryans and I have to shake that word out of my head.

They're visiting from Hamburg and I fight the urge to call them hamburgers and feel good about it. I don't want to be most Americans, oh you're from Hamburg, would that make you hamburgers, us Americans love our hamburger, wink wink.

This is their first time in America. They haven't been to New York or Los Angeles, San Francisco or Boston or Washington, D.C. They wanted to come to Chicago, and when they're done they'll go home. I ask why Chicago. I say things like Empire State Building and Golden Gate Bridge and Liberty Bell. They said they didnt want to go to any of those other places, that they already felt like they'd been. All they knew of our fair city was a renamed skyscraper and I suddenly panic that I couldn't pick out Germany on a map.

No comments:

Post a Comment