Friday, May 20, 2016

The Other One

I'd turn on the lamp and you'd turn it off. We'd sit across from each other, looking at takeout menus on our laptops. We used to share our food. Wine reached a point where it found its way into water glasses. You would take a longer shower, I would change my shirt again, something extra to make us late. I'm sorry, we'd say, it's the other one's fault.

I paid for the cab last time. You made us breakfast. That rug's been in my family for ages. The grill is broken again. Your car needs to go to the shop, you can't keep putting it off. My friends don't like your friends. I don't want to take allergy medicine. You want me to drink less, and less often. There are certain things we'd like to say. There are things we wanted to do. There are things ahead of us. We can't keep putting it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment