Thursday, May 5, 2016

Tree Frog

A small tree frog got in the house, it's hopping across the rug leading to the upstairs deck. I pick it up and set it outside the door, slide that shut. He (which is what I'll calm him) starts climbing up the wall, stops after a while. He drops. He tries again, falls, drops, same thing. It's night out and the lamp's on and I can only think that maybe the siding is too hot for him.

He hops onto the glass and falls in the space between it and the screen. He's not trapped but I sure feel like he his. And I feel sorry for him, maybe just a bit, and I try to tell myself it's survival of the fittest out there. If he was meant to die between two doors, he'll die between two doors. But how did he even get up here? Scale my house thinking it was a tree? Get blown over by the wind? It's not survival of the fittest if he's being tossed around, if these things are happening to him. And he's trying to figure it out, trying to climb and hop, trying to figure out what kind of tree this is.

I pick him up, take him downstairs, open the door to the outside. I walk him to the hosted and kneel over, bring my hand down to the soil, reconnecting him. And what does he do, he jumps onto the brick, starts hopping back toward the house. And I think, OK, I like this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment