Saturday, August 8, 2015

As They Should Be

I waited for her to come down the hall, to give me the news. All is lost, I heard her say. Give up hope.

In terms of days, on a scale of average to extraordinary, there would be nothing for me to place it at the latter. Things were as they were, and things as they are are things as they should be.

Kirke was cross. He wanted more money. He wanted things to be as they were in his head. We couldn't get inside Kirke's head. We could barely stay inside our own, that's how hopped up things were. It was a time of options. What else do you do with options but choose them.

I dreamt of legions. I saw the marauders in my path. I was the one they were after. I fell down flight after flight of stairs and there was nothing I could do to make things right.

I waited for her to come down the hall. To tell me he had lost too much blood. To tell me that I would need to see him out, on the way to the other place.

But I never saw her come. I fell asleep instead. And I'm not sure if I ever woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment