Monday, August 10, 2015

Plans

We sat home drinking margaritas and making plans. We looked at furniture magazines and circled chaise lounge after chaise lounge. Sunsets through the trees and frogs at midnight. We would have said, as younger versions of ourselves, that we would never turn out as we did. But now, being here, I cannot believe I was ever that foolish.

She'll look at me across the fresh lawn and I'll think why. On cold nights we'll add extra blankets. There is security in knowing tomorrow will be like today, there is happiness. I set my coffee alarm for 6:15, and I keep that appointment. I wake up, awake.

She wakes me when old horror movies are on. I don't try to get her to like beef carpaccio anymore. I have found a genuine connection with her distant father and her terrible mother. She has found laughter in my brother's pigheadedness. If you offered us the world, for ours, to do with it as we pleased, I am certain we would turn you down. But I am also certain we'd work wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment