Friday, August 14, 2015

Red Sky at Night

We went to the bathroom alone, we finished our drinks hours ago. We spoke carefully and diligently, we were watching our sodium. She read the nutritional information and I nodded my head and said "Perfect" while thinking about something else, cherry pie perhaps. At some point we're all the same.

I wanted to carry on a conversation, to prove that I could be two, three, four deep and still say meaningful things. That the wind and weather wouldn't turn our bar tab into a necessity. That we could relax, drive the babysitter home, not think about the approaching storm. Once I looked up at the green sky and I was furious with myself.

She talks about dealing with the city, I talk about dealing with idiots. At some point we realize that everything's interchangeable. If you put anyone else in our shoes he or she would say the exact same thing. Which is fine. That's not the complaint. We just didn't think we'd have to say these things for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment